Monday, April 9

It just dawned on me that Matt and I got engaged three years ago this month. Both of us didn't really have any preconceived notions about marriage at the time. Everything just felt right.

As a matter of fact, we still don't have a notion about it. Not having a notion means being together with no expectations. Without expections doesn't mean that we just take each other for granted. Dropping expectations (or naturally not having them to begin with) comes a fresh eye for me-so I have a fresh look at my husband moment to moment.

The fresh eye even helps me catch myself in those moments when I am relating to my husband only via expectations. There exists a whole new unknown territory of learning who he really is, beyond the definition fixed by expections, memory, ideals, concepts, etc. That unknown is filled with wonderful freedom.